Sunday, May 17, 2009

A favorite science fiction novel

Leslie and I had a wonderful time at the Gilberts on Saturday, helping Sally celebrate her birthday. When she was telling us about the time she and Steve had just spent in Stockholm, and cautioning against visiting during the winter when it's so cold and dark, I thought one of my favorite science fiction novels, about a planet where the winters are so frozen and so long that all living things go into hibernation for years:


Vernor Vinge wrote A Deepness in the Sky. I've read it 2-3 times. It's a gripping story and some of the most human characters look like spiders on the outside: members of the intelligent race hibernating on the frozen planet as two competing human expeditions race to be the first to contact them. Everytime I think about really frozen winters, and how life can slow and change then, I think of this wonderful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?